With almost 4.57 billion people online (that is a staggering 59% of the world population) as of April 2020, we are all wondering what websites are people going to the most on average in 2020. So we used Ahrefs to extract data on how much traffic do the top websites receive in 2020 organically. We compiled a list of the top 100 websites by organic traffic both worldwide as well as in the US.
- Organic traffic is when you visit a website by searching a term in a search engine like ‘Google’, ‘Yahoo’ or ‘Bing’.
- Paid search is when you search for something and the top results that show up with an ‘ad’ option in the results.
Some of the top companies pay a ton of money to attract more visitors to their site, but for this study, we are only going to focus on what people are searching for and organically reaching. Find the complete list below.
Worldwide Top 100 Sites 2020 by Search Traffic
YouTube receives average monthly traffic of 8.5 billion organically out of a 7.5 billion population, which means the number of searches for YouTube is more than the total number of people on the planet. We also see that the first four sites – YouTube, Facebook, Wikipedia, and Twitter all of them receive more than a billion searches on a monthly basis.This does not mean that actually every person is visiting, it is just on an average basis. Also, these statistics is only for organic traffic, and it will be much higher when paid traffic is also accounted for.
On analyzing the top 10 websites that people are visiting, we can see that most of the traffic is being driven from the following segments:
- Entertainment and Shopping (YouTube, Amazon)
- Social Media (Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, Twitter)
- Education and Community (Wikipedia, Reddit)
- Search Engines (Yahoo, Microsoft)
Demographics of top 100 Sites
While most of the websites that we see on the list are from the US, we can also see that there are several websites that are interestingly from other countries.
- Dailymail.co.uk – UK Based online news platform
- Uol.com.br – Brazilian web content, products, and services firm
- Amazon.co.jp – Amazon in Japan
- Baidu.com – Chinese internet-related and artificial intelligence company
- Aliexpress.com – A Chinese e-Commerce platform
- Ok.ru – Russian social media platform, which is very similar to Facebook
Let us now take a close look at what are the top 100 websites on the basis of organic traffic in the US.
US Top 100 Sites 2020 by Search Traffic
Some interesting observations from the US List
- The top 10 sites on the US list as well as the World list are mostly similar, which shows that people in the US and the world are mostly searching for the same websites which are yielding the highest levels of traffic.
- The primary uses from the Top 100 websites in the US are for social media, knowledge/news, health, shopping, and community.
- More than 90% of the websites on the list are branded websites, have excellent goodwill and have been generally very popular among all users.
While the World list and the US list has a lot of similarities, it’d be best for us to look at them individually as audience behaviour differs by geography drastically.
Why are some websites constantly at the top and others never make it?
- It’s all in the name (Goodwill!)
Most of the websites that we see in the top 100 are immensely popular and have established a brand value for themselves over a period of years. Having been people’s favorites over the years, they don’t necessarily have to focus a lot on getting paid traffic or focusing a lot on keywords, they sometimes can get by it. As long as people are getting their services, people are going to continue searching for them and visiting their sites.
But this in no way means that small brands and businesses can’t become popular. Follow the steps below to find ways in which you can drive traffic as well and get to the top.
2. Online presence and social media (Jackpot account through Google+)
While an online presence is very important, make sure that you do have a Google+ account as that really helps in getting your business online as a first step. Also, according to your business objective and target audience, consider creating accounts on the most relevant social media accounts. Remember to keep the same name and all the information consistent everywhere the search engine can find you.
3. What should be my title, I only get so few characters?
Your title should clearly describe your business and services offered very accurately, try adding a strong ‘Call to Action’ to the title in order to attract traffic and actually even receive conversions! Make sure you are using the right keywords with high traffic, low competition, and low CPC (Cost Per Click) in order to reach the right sort of people.
4. Mind-boggling content
A recipe for solid ranking on search engine includes good content, images, internal links, page load speed and word count. Moreover, try to be very consistent with your presence online so that the search engine can crawl and identify you, while gradually bringing you to the top of ranking!
How to see most visited websites
Are you interested in finding out for yourself how much visits a website receives organically per month? Here we will guide you on the steps to find it out using Ahrefs.
- Login to Ahrefs and set up an account if you already don’t have one.
- On the main dashboard, you’d see an option in the top toolbar titled ‘Site Explorer’ you can click that, or simply click here ‘Ahrefs Site Explorer’.
- In the search bar enter the Domain or website you are looking to get details about and press the ‘Search icon’. For example, if you want details about ‘YouTube’, just enter ‘YouTube.com’ in the search query option.
- Now you will be able to see the Organic Traffic, Organic Keywords, Ahrefs rank, Backlinks, and estimated traffic value. You’d also be able to see the PPC (Pay Per Click) for organic keywords as well as the PPC for entire traffic value also. You’d also see two options: ‘Organic Search’ and ‘Paid Search’, click on either of them to get the details.
- You can also check how well are your competitors doing by clicking on the ‘Paid Search’ option. It helps you in giving yourself a high-level sense of their investment in PPC, and how well it’s working for them.
Some brands realized the importance of digital marketing very early on and took the first movers advantage, which is yielding them results today by being at the top of search engines upon a query. But it is never too late, start using the tips outlined above and it would be easy for you to excel and come at the top of your niche as well!
To check out other similar articles, visit Waobe.